Monday, April 30, 2012

Hole-in-the-Wall

In my quest to make a world a better place to live, I started researching on ways and means to spread awareness on education with the sole aim to make life better.

Now, it does help when you share your thoughts with everyone around you. One of my colleagues promptly dug her memory and recalled a training session wherein another brilliant colleague (rather a senior) had enlightened the group about hole-in-the-wall by sending them this link.


Hole-in-the-wall is a brilliant concept envisaged by Sugata Mitra in the field of primary education for under privileged kids living in remote locations in rural India. 

It started out as an research experiment on unsupervised learning with computers. 

In a hollow space of a wall, a computer was installed to be freely accessed by everyone and anyone. Some of the tiny super curious beings – children – from the nearby area fiddled with the device for a while and viola! – the children had taught themselves to use the computer. That was not the end of it, the kids not only learnt basic math and science, but also taught themselves English because the computer spoke just English. The kids were learning and teaching their peers – without the intervention of any teacher.

This idea completely blew my mind! I was so impressed by the simplicity of the idea and the curiosity of the young kids.

This is one of my favorite sites that I visit whenever I’d like to get inspired. Someday I’d like to contribute to an idea worth spreading and be featured on TED! 

No comments:

Post a Comment